15 January 2008

And the rain rain rain came down down down...

Two exams down, one to go. Today I had translation, and it was easy as rice pudding (pie is actually quite difficult to make, you know). I was slightly worried about the applied grammar section, since I found out about it a month or so ago and never went to a single class, but that was easy. I thought the sentences were very well chosen: all of them seemed simple but needed rather complex translation. Word by word would not work. The text translation (the half of the exam for the class I actually went to) wasn't bad either. There were only about three words I didn't know, and from context I think I guessed pretty well.

Happy as all that is, it's still raining. Almost every day we've gotten a speck of sun, but today there hasn't been any yet. It was raining when I walked to my exam this morning (a bit more than a mile away, but much faster to walk then to take buses in this case), it was raining when I walked back, it rained all morning, it rained at lunchtime, it's still raining. And I normally wouldn't mind, because I like rain. But there's NO THUNDER. I just realized that, although it's rained about 80% of the days since October and before that 30%, there hasn't been a thunderstorm. No lightning. No hard rain, usually-- just constant drizzle or light rain. And that gets boring.

But the rain got a certain Winnie the Pooh song stuck in my head, and I decided to look for it on YouTube. And I found it... in Swedish!! It's amazing fun.


One of the links on the side for a related video was a Winnie the Pooh theme in Dutch. Also fun, and I understand about half.


And that led me to find these:






See how much fun being a linguist can be? Watching cartoons is an educational experience. Face it, not just anybody can go searching for a specific song they want and then be thrilled when they can only find it in a language they don't understand.
Last exam tomorrow morning, which should be fine if I can get myself to study some more instead of cooking and watching Lost!

No comments: