23 January 2008

Bored... Bored... Bored... Crêpes

Twiddling my thumbs actually sounds like an interesting activity at the moment.
Exams finished last week, we start choosing classes tomorrow, and it seems that I must be the only one with virtually nothing to do, since I haven't been able to convince anyone to go on a daytrip with me. I don't do well when I have an empty schedule, I really don't. I've done everything I can think of to keep myself occupied:
- I have made and compared three crêpe recipes. My favorite is below.
- I've watched the first two seasons of Lost, plus two movies.
- I cleaned my apartment.
- I made a purse (see my last post) and wrote a long letter to a kid I don't know.
- My "morning exercise program" that I usually only do a few days a month (most of the time I forget) has been done every day.
- I walked back up to the monastery to remind myself what time their masses are.
- I arranged some music.
- I read two books in French.
- I reorganized my desk.
- I gave myself a pedicure.
- Followed that with a manicure.
- Made fun shapes with my plastic rope, and melted them with matches.
- I colored with my new markers.
- Read a couple newspapers.
- Walked around aimlessly.
- Reorganized my digital photo library.
- Figured out if several large numbers are prime.
- And more things...

Essentially, once I finish reading and writing e-mails around ten in the morning, I search for things to do and end up bored. I am SO looking forward to choosing classes tomorrow and Friday and FINALLY getting back into some semblance of a "busy" schedule.

In other news, I've become nocturnal and I need to fix that by tomorrow. And I'm looking forward to Lent because it's a good motivator to force myself to do stuff. And here's that crêpe recipe:

• Metric System Ingredients: Beat three eggs with a tablespoon of oil and half a liter of milk. Gradually incorporate 250g. of flour and a pinch of salt. If you're making sweet crêpes, you can add some sugar and a flavoring thingie (vanilla, orange zest, rhum).
• Much Easier to Use System Ingredients: Beat three eggs with a tablespoon of oil and two cups of milk. Gradually incorporate a coffee-cup-full of flour (a bit more than a cup) and a pinch of salt. Add flavor if you want.

• Now that you've made the batter, heat the biggest non-stick frying pan you have. Put some oil on it if you think you need to. Put a ladleful of batter into the center of the pan, and spread it out so that it covers the whole pan. Let it cook two minutes on fairly low heat, then stick a spatula under the crêpe and flip it. This takes practice, but you'll improve. Besides, broken crêpes taste just as good as whole ones.
• While the other side of the crêpe is cooking (one minute on your medium heat or two on the lowest) you can put stuff on it. Good sweet crêpe fillings include jam, Nutella, chocolate, sliced fruit... be creative. Regular fillings include ham, cheese, spinach, browned ground beef, tomato sauce... mix and match as you like. Fold up some stuff in the crêpe, make sure it's warmed through, and eat. Yum. Extra batter? Cover your bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it. Extra crêpes? Put them in the refrigerator and heat them up in the microwave when you're hungry.

• My sweet crêpe variant: add about a third of a cup of sugar to the batter and use a bit of extra flour. Flavor with a dash of orange juice, vanilla, cinnamon and ginger.

1 comment:

Jakob said...

You're making me hungry!!